Re: [RC] Head Trauma & helmets - Rebecca Fabiszak

Then there is the freak accident that my brother's friend had that left her almost in a persistent, vegetative state. In her case, the helmet actually created the spinning of her brain on her spinal cord. She was being led on a horse who tripped. She had the helmet on, securely, and came off, hitting the side of her head, causing massive trauma. In her case, the helmet did not save her but hurt her in the end. Freak accident, yes. Thankfully, my life is in the hands of the Lord. I will do what is resonable but I can't be fearful of everything, otherwise, why live? Beccy

----- Original Message ----
From: Terry Banister <ebeyrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: vchorsegal@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 4:56:03 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Head Trauma & helmets

I still cannot figure out how riders in baseball caps have so much better eyesight! In the past two years, I have trashed two helmets from being hit by large tree limbs overhead while riding unfamiliar trails in the springtime.  I ducked for leafy branches coming at me, but wasn't able to see the bigger branch hiding behind them when I sat up! Both times, I was knocked backward and saw stars, luckily, stayed on the horse because my helmet kept me from being knocked out cold. How do all the bare-headed riders miss these tree limbs?

Terry
"May the Horse be with you!