RE: [RC] HELP - My mare is frustrating me - Chris Paus

it's not the HR that is the issue. It's the leg strength. My guess is that the HR zoomed up because her legs were sore, not the other way around. We have to walk a fine line between under and over training. And that line is different for each horse.

There may be something going on with the mare besides your conditioning program. I'd have her checked over well by a veterinary chiropractor. That would be my first step if this were my horse. I'd thoroughly evaluate saddle and tack fit and double check and evaluate it. Often we THINK saddles are a good fit and in reality they are not. I've had hind quarter stiffness on a horse becuase of a bad saddle fit. I didn't figure it out until the poor horse was so sore he started to lay down with me on him and a complete stranger told me, "your horse is sore, he's trying to get you and that saddle off his back."

duh, slap myself upside the head!

Thirdly, I'd have someone video tape my riding. Am I off somewhere? Is there somethign about my riding that is putting undo stress on some part of the horse's body. Often when my horses aren't performing, it's not them, it's ME. I need to get myself to the chiro. I'm unbalanced.

Do you have the mare on a good joint supplement? Try feeding her handfuls of BOSS... BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS. they are chock full of vit E and other good nutrients, omega 3s, etc.

she may need more time off between conditioning rides. I've brought 3 horses along now in distance riding and it takes about 2 years to put a good base of conditioning on them. Unfortunatley, our first endurance horse is always our experimental model and the lessons we learn from that one we apply to the next ones.

good luck.

chris

"If  you let a smile be your umbrella,
then most likely your butt will get soaking wet." Maxine

BayRab Acres http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
Lake RegionSWA http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com