Re: [RC] Scar tissue/infection - vet advice - Lysane Cree

Thank you to everyone for the advice. Seems that there might still be somthing in there that just didn't show up on the x-ray.
When I went to the barn last night, her scar seemed to still be swelled even though the scab on the wound was hard and dry.
I put some hot compresses and then lifted the scab off. There was still some pus under there in the wound and attached to the scab. Glad I decided to go with "plan b" rather than just wait for it to rupture again.
I cleaned it with a syringe and saline solution and it looked pink when I was done. I also put the antibiotic cream ("Special Formula 17900-Strong") in the wound. The cream is very liquid and has a long tip for putting right in the wound...my mare wasn't thrilled but seems like it will get it in further rather than just on the surface.
Not sure how many times or days in a row I am supposed to do this though...whether once is enough or should I do it again tonight. I'm never sure whether I should bandage or not, the last time I bandaged a wound she had proud flesh growing, but then again at night she usually lays down for awhile on that side and could get all kinds of stuff back in it.

Lysane

All new Yahoo! Mail