RE: [RC] Riding in the Ice - Paul Sidio

Jennifer,

Here is an experiment  to test whether it is safe to ride your horses on the ice. Try this at your own risk. Make sure your health insurance is still in force.   Go walk up  and down the hills yourself.  Now put on a backpack of about 20-25% of your personal body weight and walk those same hills again.  See the difference?  Harder to keep from falling wasn't it?   Now repeat this at a trot and see what happens.
Snow doesn't bother me to drive a vehicle or ride a horseon.  Ice is a different and scarier matter. Spring is coming.

We had a major ice storm here in the Missouri Ozarks too. It is mostly gone now. I rode the other day, and when we hit slab ice on the northern facing slopes, I got off and led him down the slippery parts. He walked slow and carefull on the icy parts. He knows what it is, and what can happen.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO