Re: [RC] [RC] using a breastcollar when you don't *need* it? - Dawn Carrie

I always use one, and I ride in pretty flat terrain.  The number one reason I do is to keep the saddle in place should I get dumped and the horse run off.  That actually happened at a ride last fall...my youngest horse stepped into a deep hole in a puddle, he fell, I came off, and he panicked and bolted off through the woods and eventually back down the trail, where some other riders caught him.  As I typically ride with a pretty loose girth, I imagine that the breast collar helped the saddle stay in place.  A second reason I like to use one is that it gives me something additional to grab during a spook...it's saved me a number of times.  <G>

Dawn in East Texas