[RC] First 100s - Patty Stedman

Hey Kyle,

I haven't done Spook Run but have done 80 miles of Top of the Rock which is in the same trail system.  Good challenging trails, doesn't necessarily hold up great in the rain (tho I think they've made some changes which improve that), great vetting.  All holds at camp.

Pine Tree is wonderful - super management, a bit of a flatter course than Spook Run but enough variety that I think it is quite good for the horses.  Except for one short rocky section, amongst the most forgiving footing of the hundreds I've done.  First two holds away (at the same place), all others in camp.

Vermont is magical!  The runners make the ride truly special.  Single 100 mile loop, some significant climbs but doable.  A little "poundy" for some horses, and your crew will do a lot of driving.  And you really have to have a crew for this ride.

The Northwind Challenge 100 that was held for the first time in Quebec last year was nice too, some fairly rocky sections, quite a bit of riding around the edges of fields/pastures.  All holds away (but all but the first one in the same place).  Not sure if and when it will be sanctioned this year.

Of course, all of these things could be changed, but there's my two cents.

If I were to vote on "ideal first 100" (for me and my horse), it would be Pine Tree, but that's assuming it's not brutally hot and humid too.  (It was quite decent this year.)

And hey, GOOD LUCK!  The hardest part of a 100, as Doc Jim Baldwin told me, is signing up.

--Patti Stedman (NY)