[RC] Terrified horse and not so terrified horses - Sheila_Larsen

There are so many wonderful ways to work with horses out there that you
have a huge tool box at your disposal.  Most people who know me will know
what is coming next, and that is using clicker training in combination with
Parelli, Linda Tellington-Jones exercises, and almost any other thing you
can think about.  I find particularly useful because the click marks the
behavior and sometimes with other methods the horse reacts and I am too
slow with my body to indicate that the horse/dog/whatever is correct.  The
think I like most about it is that you concentrate on what you want not on
what you don't want.  For example, the other day when I was taking one
horse out of the pasture for some reason the other horse didn't follow us
to the gate and the leaving horse got separation anxiety and was extremely
distracted.  So instead of getting frustrated with the horse (ok I got
frustrated but hid it well) I concentrated on what I wanted.  But I knew I
wasn't going to get it without chunking it down into smaller pieces and
marking the smallest good behavior.  Horse took one step with me, she got a
click and treat, she didn't want the treat but she knew she was correct
(accepting treat is their option), and then she blew by me, ah Parelli half
circles, slightest look at me, click and offer treat, and off she went, and
we just went over it and over it just concentrating on what I wanted and
not what she was wrapped up in and after about two-three  minutes we walked
quietly out of the pasture,  I am not saying that if I had done just
Parelli she wouldn't have settled, but from my past experienced she settled
much much faster.  She was happy, and I was far less stressed because I was
exentuating the positive.  And hey anyone who knows me, know that positive
thinking doesn't come easy to me.  (What  glass is half full?- anyone one
can see is it half empty  LOLOL)  The other good thing is that most animals
think it is fun.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
~Author Unknown