[RC] Flax to prevent sand colic - sherman

The reason to feed ground flax seed is for the benefit of the Omega 3 fatty acids. I also saw on another list that it was recommended for preventing sand colic. Probably Susan G. or Heidi would know if it prevents sand colic. You can buy a 50 pound bag of whole seed for $26 and grind it in a small coffee grinder. Just be sure to store ground seed in the freezer ‘til you use it. The Horseshine is stabilized though, if you don’t want to deal with grinding it yourself and storing the unused ground seed, but is $65 for a 50 pound bag.

Kathy

Has anyone used ground flaxseed as a preventative for sand colic?  We
just had 14" of dead sand layered on our paddock and I assumed I'd be
using psyllium  as a preventative but just read about flax on this
website:  www.omegafields.com

I've had my horses on flax before but mostly just to shine up their
coats.  But, if it does indeed work as a sand colic preventative it
sure would be easier to deal with then metamucil...and the horses
would probably prefer the taste.

Tracy