Re: [RC] This reasearch study is of great interest - Linda Marins

Groan.  I can just hear the health insurance industry starting to
beat the drums again on excluding horseback riding injuries
from medical coverage.

Predictably, there are problems with this study.  Given that
they studied riders coming into a *Calgary* hospital, it is
not surprising that most accidents took place on wide open
spaces.

The article doesn't say whether the comparison was made with
all motorbikes, or just dirt bikes.  We are probably far more
analogous to dirt bikes than motorcycling in general when it
comes to falling off.  (Although I hate giving in to our
opponents' political ploy of always trying to spin us
as "just like an ATV.")

And what about mountain bikers, huh?

Who paid for the study?  Why?  (I guess I'm going to have to
try to find it in the Journal of Surgery.)

Linda Marins