[RC] Suicide race and Tevis - Fred & Cynthia Ross

I don't think anyone is trying to say we should turn a blind eye to "abuse", just that we all have our own perception of what "abuse" really is. Such as MANY people would consider riding Tevis "abusive" to equines. After all, how many horses that start that ride every year actually finish? Sometimes nearly half the horses don't make it. So, it must be extremely tough right? How many are pulled for lameness, metabolic, fatigue ...... Or not making time because a rider could not "force" the poor animal to go fast enough on such tough trail, in the hot temps..... And some of the pictures I've seen going over Couger rock look pretty extremem to me. And I do recall hearing that a horse fell off the trail and died last year in a training ride (which could be compared to a "qualifying" heat)

So, what do we use as a guideline to define "abuse". Becaue to many, many people, we endurance riders are abusers.

Cindy R. in Maine

From: "Karen Sullivan" <greymare56@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] The same could be said of Tevis (was: suicide race)

Kat and all, here is my opinion.......to NOT speak up about abuse or
inhumane treatment becaue you feel it may possibly compromise your own
adjenda or sport can be self-serving and cowardly.  Yes, we have to be
concerned about the lunatic fringe PETA folks who would like to see
all the doggies, kitties and horsies turned loose..but that doesn't
mean we turn a blind eye on other horse sports that are NOT run with
adequate rules, or veterinary supervision.  I applaud those courageous
folks who step forward; contact the Humane Society, local Animal
Control or whatever to step up for those animals that have no voice in
this.....