[RC] PRCA - Don't forget the Wild Horse Races - Kristi Schaaf

Suicide Race--reply from PRCA - Susan
This is what the PRCA has to say.
_______________________

I wonder what their 'official' reply would be to an
inquiry about the Wild Horse Races that many rodeos
have as part of their draw. Those horses are in NO WAY
willing participants. I attended my first (and last)
rodeo back in the 90's where I watched the Wild Horse
Race with a sick stomach and even sicker heart as
those panicked, terrified horses fought with all they
had for what they felt were their very lives. How
humans can be so cruel to horses (or any other animal)
in the name of 'sport' just disgusts me. It disgusted
me so much that I wrote a letter to the editor of "The
Horse" magazine after they published an article on how
protected rodeo horses are, asking why they hadn't
mentioned the Wild Horse Race. I was then told by
someone in the know that even though it's held in
conjunction with a rodeo, it's not 'officially'
sanctioned so it can slide through the cracks on
animal welfare. I also got a reply in the form of a
letter to the editor the next month from some guy who
was the Wild Horse Race World Champion. His claims
about care of the horses during the event were so full
of you know what that it would have been absurdly
funny if it hadn't been so tragically sad.

Kristi

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)