[RC] Containment systems - sherman

Why not keep tying your horse to the trailer? The next safest way to
contain is probably heavy panels that your horse (or other loose horses)
cannot push over. Personally, I would not use any system that a horse
could push thru when panicked. If you horse went thru the orange plastic
fencing and it was caught up around her legs chasing her throughout the
camp or the wood, how would she handle that? Same question about the
electric fencing, just add getting zapped at the same time. I've seen a
horse that "never" pushes on his containment system push on it when a
neighboring horse was moved and then get tangled up and fall repeatedly.
At one ride a horse jumped its electric pen twice, breaking its leg on a
nearby stump the second time. Accidents can happen however you confine
your horse, choose what is safest.

Just some things to consider,
Kathy

I've just started endurance, and have just kept my
horse tied to the trailer.  She does well tied
overnight, and I don't want to bring panels, don't
like just hot wire, and my trailer is old and I can't
put in a hi-tie system.  I saw at work, T posts with
that plastic orange safety "mesh" and thought that
would be easy to put up.  All I would have to do is
bring some t posts (with toppers!) and run it around
the posts.  The holes in it are small, like 1" by 2"
so no hooves getting caught.  If she bashed thru it,
it wouldn't hurt her since it is soft.  It would be
easy to put t posts, a pounder and shovel (for
removal) and roll up the mesh and put it in my
trailer.  Does anyone use this?  Pros? Cons?  Thoughts?

Susan in NV