Re: [RC] falling off the horse-long - Roxanne Ciccone

Elysa,
    I have not quit falling off, it just doesn't happen as often. I have a
spooky horse named Spirit(name fits). I say he sees dead people. His biggest
spooks are when there is absolutely nothing there. I have owned him since he
was 3, I used to come off every time we competed and sometimes more than once.
My trainer said "You probably didn't have your heels down" I don't think it
would have mattered. I stay on many of the spooks but some are just impossible.
I have heard from friends behind me on the trail that I have had some great
saves.
   I take dressage lessons once a week and Spirit is now 13 and has over 4000
miles. I won't say that he doesn't spook anymore, just not as big and not as
often. One reason is I have more confidence and I have become a better rider,
and he has matured and has more confidence.
I liked this horse too much to give up on him. Sometimes I think it might be a
vision thing, as he has big eyes with a very dishy head, and his eyes seem to
be more to the side than my other ARABS.
   Anyway I don't know if this helps any, but I have learned to anticipate his
spookines and so I GROWL at him (Biggest Bear in the woods) and drive him on
with my leg and seat and voice. Also do serpentines on the trail to get his
mind focused on me not the boogey man in the woods.
Good Luck
Roxanne