[RC] Zorse - k s swigart

Lauren Horn said:

Yes, I know what the cross is. I just always
heard that they were more difficult also but
the ad sounded like such a great animal.
Maybe they have that reputation like a mule
does to many people?

While all animals are individuals and not just members of their species
(or hybrid of a species as the case may be) so this particular zorse
might be different from all other zorses, it would be good to keep in
mind that a zorse (like all mules) is not a horse.

I have often heard many a mule handler tell horse people "do not make
the mistake of thinking a mule is a horse."

A zorse is not just a horse with stripes, so if you undertake to get
one, it would do well to remember that it may require completely
different handling than what you are used to with horses.  Personally, I
wouldn't take one on unless I knew that I was a competent animal
trainer, no matter what the species and knew how to work with
individuals and evaluate their individual responses rather than knowing
how to "work with horses."

If you encounter training/handling problems, you are unlikely to find
much by way of good suggestions on how to handle them in horse
literature, so you had better be prepared to figure out for yourself how
to handle them.

And I would consider acquiring one to be another one of those cases of
"If you have to ask..."

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)