Re: [RC] Elytes - some recent references - Beth Walker

I wasn't trying to imply that the French were hiding anything. This article, and the others in the proceedings, look like summary articles, so they give the highlights, but don't contain a lot of detail.

All I was trying to say is that the study spanned several years, and the article was very high-level. When a team is competing over several years, lots of things can change: the horses, the riders, the coaches, the feeding program.... All of which can play into a study like this. The article did not say, so you have to assume, that the feeding and conditioning programs remained stable over the period discussed.

I think it would be very interesting for others to follow up on their results, because the results do agree with the other article about the amount of electrolytes lost during exercise: taking the two articles together, the results seem to say that not only is proper feeding is the basis for getting elytes into your horse, but that using electrolyte supplements doesn't give enough, and may actually be counter-productive.

I think the French are the only ones really putting this in practice (not using elytes), and I think it would be really interesting to have others try and duplicate their results.