From: Marlene Moss <Marlene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2007/09/17 Mon PM 01:52:36 CDT
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, horsesctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   sudden behavior change in horse

I have 2 horses boarded at our place for training to fixsome behavioral
problems that suddenly appeared.  Both are 3 year old mares,one AQHA but
looks thoroughbred, the other a solid paint.  They have norelationship to
each other and different owners, but both were shown in halterand longeline
classes when younger.  Both owners think their behavior is relatedto coming
into heat, but neither had a vet look at the horses.

One was sent to a trainer who gave up on her and sent her tothe auction and
eventually she ended up at our place so we could help the newowners sell
her.  The other owner is so afraid the horse will hurt a neighborkid that
she had the mare tied to the fence when I picked her up.

Basically, both mares will bite and kick at times, but areotherwise a couple
of the sweetest mares I’ve ever worked with.  Thequarter horse has no
aim, and you can tell she is frustrated but just doesn’tknow what else to
do.  I am able to work with her just by talking to herpleasantly or holding
something out for her to sniff.  She’s very curious. The paint has
deadly aim and force so we are being very careful with herbecause we just
don’t know what sets her off yet.

Both are very pleasant and willing once they are haltered. The AQHA mare is
lovely to ride and I’ve taken her out on the trail a fewtimes and think
she has trail or endurance potential.  The other mare isn’tsaddle
trained yet.

Has anyone dealt with behavior like this?  With both horsesit just started
overnight and the original owners both had other horses with noproblems.  I
really thing there is something physical, probably with theirreproductive
systems that is going on.  The paint will sometimes turn her headaway and
look back to avoid biting or else looking where she is in pain.  Ihave a
vet coming out Tuesday for one of the boarders and I’d like totalk to him
about these two to see what options we might have to figure thingsout for
them.  I have heard of horses that had a marble inserted to help
withuncomfortable heat cycles – any experience with this?  What
symptoms doesit help?  How well does it work?  Is there hormone therapy
for horses?  Bloodtests that might give us a clue?  Expensive or
cheap?  What kind of diagnosticscan be done that don’t cost a fortune
or require a major clinic?

Sorry not totally distance riding related, but I guess anyhorse could have
problems like this that need to be diagnosed and dealt with. The owner of
the paint has accepted that she may need to put this mare down ifshe
can’t be fixed, but I (and the trainer) think it is physical and thatthe
source needs to be treated before the horse can be trained or a
difficultdecision made.

Thanks!
Marlene

Marlene Moss