Re: [RC] Communication With/From BoD Members - Truman Prevatt

Actually there was enough blame to go around in that encounter. It was not what I would call professional behavior. A couple of the messages from both parties resembled a "street fight."

A director needs to take great care when they speak - least the comments be taken as policy of the BOD when it is policy or procedures of the AERC that are at question. I think the membership deserves answers to such questions but personally I would prefer such answers to be formalized coming from the committee chair that deals with the particular issue and presented in EN.

There are several directors that can and have commented on issues in a highly professional manner and have provided information to the membership. Mike Maul, Stagg Newmann, Jerry Fruth and Randy Eiland come to mind.

Many directors do not speak or very seldom speak on the list. Many do but avoid direct policy issues - Heidi Smith and Joe Long come to mind. That is all fitting and proper. The discussion over committee policy belongs at the AERC board meetings, between the relevant committee chairs or the AERC president and the members or between the members and their respective directors in a civil manner and professional manner. They don't belong as "street fights" on ridecamp.

Truman

Dawn Carrie wrote:
I remember too many times over the years, various people (several individuals come to mind) ranting on RC about various topics for a while, and then complaining, "if the members of the BoD are supposed to represent us, then why don't we hear a response from them?" Yet when a BoD member does respond and attempt to carry on a very calm, rational converation (in the face of quite inflammatory statements), as Bruce has been doing, he is then accused of trying to intimidate and shut down member input.
So is that what it means to be on the BoD? You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't? People, if you expect folks to step forward and try to do their best for you and represent your ideas, then at least give them the courtesy of polite input. I hear a lot of bitching abut what they're NOT doing, but not a lot of concrete ideas for them to take to the table for discussion. To paraphrase something Ranelle said, if you have a problem, then come to the table with a possible solution.
Or better yet...there's still time to nominate for regional director positions. If you're not happy with how things are being done, then get in there and do it yourself.
Dawn Carrie, Texas

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics