Re: [RC] "Hack" - Susan

"Hack" simply means to ride a horse...like a pleasure ride.  Foxhunting is riding to follow hounds hunting it's prey; endurance riding is a competitive cross country ride; showing is a competitive event to display a horse's excellence at a particular discipline (I use "excellence" and "discipline" loosely...LOL!); hacking is just out riding for relaxation.  When I school a horse, I'm schooling.  When I'm just out riding for the fun of it (although there may be some schooling going on...but it's not my main objective) I'm out on a hack.

Juli means she can give her horse something for the pain that would otherwise be illegal in the competitive world and just ride for the enjoyment of it all.  Or, she may be need to drug him but she won't be able to ride him like she may on an endurance ride.

Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am interested in the derivation and connotations of the word "hack" as
applies to riding. Would anyone care to venture a definition?

> Juli Bechard wrote:
>> my little Paso just got retired from endurance completely. We are
>> hoping he?ll be ok just to hack around lightly.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, The Princess of Pink
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)