[RC] Opinions - Bruce Weary DC

Dear Lisa, Truman, et al.,
There are clearly differing opinions amongst us regarding a myriad of issues in our sport. Some issues are important, some not so important. This is true of any organization run by people. A problem I see, is that sometimes we elevate the importance of a particular issue in our mind, if it has some special interest to us personally, when in reality it may not be highly important in the overall scheme of things. When the issue we are passionate about doesn't seem to get the attention we desire, we can feel slighted, insulted, or that our opinion doesn't count. We may even begin to question the motives and ethics of those who disagree with us, or aren't giving us what we want. We bristle at this because we live in a country where everyone is supposed to have a voice.
If we are going to get along, and get things done, I think we need to have and honor an understanding about opinions and how they should be valued and treated. Stephen Covey has a simple little way of classifiying issues to help determine which ones need attention first, and which ones can afford to wait. They are basically classified as: 1) Urgent and Important, (the house is on fire), 2) Important but not urgent (I need to start exercising) 3) Urgent but not important (the phone is ringing), and 4) Not Urgent and Not Important ( I should comb my hair). If we all agreed to this system, we would spend less time on minutiae, and more time getting important things done.
The other thing about opinions is that while each of us has a voice, we each have only *one* voice or vote. And while we should honor each singular opinion in devising our policies, it's neither prudent nor effective to give each opinion equal *weight.* While significant experience is no guarantee of wisdom, it's difficult to be wise without experience. There are varying degrees of experience in our ranks--on the BOD, the committees, and amongst our members. Most of the time, in any pursuit, greater experience offers greater perspective. And perspective is an important ingredient in the process of sorting out and acting on issues--not just passionate opinion. Good ideas can come from all corners, and we all have to understand that sometimes things just don't go our way. That's okay, because there will be another issue along very soon that we can all try to have influence over. The supply never seems to stop.
As far as my opinions go, they are always my opinions. I am not a mouthpiece for the Board, and I have the same opinions in a Board meeting that I do when I am posting here, or chatting over a campfire at a ride. The idea that the Board is of one, concerted opinion on any particular issue is highly inaccurate, even though we may all vote in agreement on an issue. It doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of discussion and disagreement beforehand. The Board's diversity is an asset, as a group of like-minded people would be inert in their ability to lead.
Truman, I disagree with you regarding my discussions with members. I feel I have a responsibility to do so, not to avoid it. And, if my methods or philosophy are shown to be ineffective, I will be dismissed or voted out of office. I will then be left only with the option to go ride my horse. Darn. Bruce Weary