Re: [RC] FACTS - John Teeter

Indeed there are few facts concerning the GSFHR accident and, as is usual, many are still contradictory. At some point the situation of the accident in kansas will be well understood and the details sorted out.

But the general issue of how endurance events are presented and perceived both by our community and the general population is something that we might discuss.

A few years ago, AERC expunged the world "race" from the official documents of the organization. "Race" was replaced by "Ride" in the rules and bylaws (Ride was already the "R" in AERC). It was known then that the publication of "race" brought with it connotations that were not putting the sport in the proper context for broader acceptance as a non-threatening recreational pastime.

Of course, in a timed event, where incentives are awarded for most rapid completion of the course, the duck still quacks (so to speak:). And we like it that way basically, we have all sorts of competitions (first to finish, last to finish, most miles in a year, etc. etc.) all of which are built around this timed event concept. There are other versions of distance riding which remove this timed component for sure, but they are not the same.

So the question, "how to have a race which is not a race?" is one that has dogged endurance for quite some time. It's not that it matters much to the endurance community (IMO). It is that it matters much more when accidents do happen which raise the level of visibility of the sport beyond our community. When news of an accident hits the local tv news and is picked up by AP etc. the "R" word becomes much more of a potential problem.

This particular event, the "Great Santa Fe Horse Race" (or GSFHR), made everyone in the US endurance community nervous from the start. AERC members put a large effort into refining the event before granting AERC sanction for the event. AERC did it's "due diligence" in researching the qualifications of the organizers, the trails, the insurance, etc. before sanction was granted. That is well documented I think. Once the event was underway, it was observed by AERC watchers and reports came back to validate the capabilities of the management to run the event.

So, as far as is generally known, AERC has done all that could be done to make the GSFHR a success. The accident happens. AERC (and the endurance community as a whole) might want to be proactive in saying "We did all we could to make the GSFHR a good AERC event, run within the AERC rules, to make sure it was a ride at which AERC members would be safe and happy attending!". I'd encourage AERC to make such a press release.

But, to really get to my point. IMO AERC should never have sanctioned an event with the "R" word in it's title. The "Race" in Great Santa Fe Horse Race may have set the context for all discussions of the event and the accident. This would be too bad. When the focus could be on the trail, the horses, etc. As we see in the press, the # of days of coming in first gets more press than the number of days (or miles) ridden. The difference between a Race and a Ride.

jt