Re: [RC] [RC] GPS..Garmin Forerunner - April

Hi, Pam,

If you're looking for another wrist unit, I would definitely upgrade to a Forerunner 305. These are a huge upgrade from your 201. The biggest thing is the high sensitivity GPS receiver that works much better than the 201 receiver. There are a lot of great workout capabilities for the 305, better track point management, and the 305 comes with a Heart Rate Monitor.

You can use the HRM for yourself during cross-training or contact Roger Rittenhouse (www.vmaxept.com) to get an adapter kit to have this work for your horse. I actually bought another HRM strap, so I have one for me and one for Tanna. I can't use them both at the same time, but I use mine when I'm working out separate from the horse and use the horse one when riding.

If you honestly don't care about HR and you don't think you would want the HR capabilities ever, then you can go with the Forerunner 205, which is basically the same unit without HR. You can't upgrade the 205 to use the HR, though, so if you think you might want HR later, the 305 is the way to go.

You can pick up a 305 for around $220 these days. Check www.amazon.com or www.tvnav.com. I've ordered from both. Also, there is a rebate offer of $50 if you sign up for a Power Bar newsletter. ( http://www.powerbar.com/Newsletter/) Through November 30, 2007.

The 205 will run you around $160 (no rebate offer that I know of).

With the rebate, you might as well get the 305. :-)

Good luck. Feel free to contact me privately or repost to RC if you'd like more information, help, or if you'd prefer a non-wrist unit.

April
Nashville, TN
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com
endurancerider (at) gmail (dot) com