[RC] GSFHR - Suzanne Avery

I asked what team was ahead on the GSFHR and no one seemed to know. There
were several folks that just brought one horse. Some of these people were in
teams. Of all the riders riding just one horse (may not be an individual,
may be a team member) 5 have are really going strong with no pulls. If a
rider is pulled one day he can still ride the other days. Many folk fit in
this category. The QH are doing good but I do not think they are number one.
There is a gentleman with Morgans. He his horses are doing great. I was told
they have won the respect of all that have seen them. One gentleman a QH
owner said he now had great respect for both the Arab and Morgan breed.

The start/end of the race is not at the race village. This seems to be a
downfall as folks visiting etc would probably like to see horses finish at
or near the village. Today the finish was one hour away. The horses are then
trucked to the village. There were not a lot of venders and the venders said
the race villages were slow. Not many sales. They did not think it was
advertised enough. RFD also was not filming the race. I am not sure what
happened there.

Most people were generally satisfied although they said there were many
things they would change. One was the trucking of horses/logistics. Most
realized it was the first year and there would be some problems.

The accident was very sad. I did not see it but was there when the news hit
the village. I am just relieved to hear the two gals and driver are living.
I think that is a miracle in itself. Usually when a horse is hit by a truck
it goes up over the hood into the windshield. Usually kills the driver.
Someone riding a horse would be thrown over the top of the truck? Apparently
the horses themselves were racing and maybe hard to stop. Those poor riders,
driver of the vehicle and all involved at the end of the race. They were
racing for first and second place, the remaining riders all were behind
them, such a tragedy.

Sorry I do not have placements. Those riding did not even know who was
first. I think only a handful of teams/riders were free of pulls. So the
winner would be sitting within that group.

Suzanne Avery