Re: [RC] [RC] Back to back rides - am I doing enough? - Dawn Carrie

Hi Susan
Your mare should sail through those two 30s with energy to spare.  What I'd like to know is, when are you planning your first 50?  :)

I would back off to doing one ride a day...your mare does need some down time for her body to build condition in response to the exercise.  The mileage you're doing (30-40 miles a week) is more than enough for doing back to back LDs.  If you want to know a secret, it's more than I do on my horse for 50s and an occasional 100.  ;)  Of course, you're still building base on your horse, so I don't recommend signing up for the next 100.  But if you've been riding steadily since spring, and have the desire to move up to 50s, then you certainly have a horse that should be ready whenever you feel that you are.  :)

Best of luck with your upcoming rides!  Let us know how they go!

Dawn Carrie, Texas