[RC] Rose's girthy problem - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Jody:
Now, I have tried, body glide, different saddles, neoprene,
wool, string, padded, not so padded, loose girth, crupper

to keep the saddle back, the Bickman salve someone on
a list suggested, vaseline, baby powder...and cursing...

Something to check - is she rubbing on the girth, or on the
buckle/trim on or near the buckle? My horse was having
girthy problems too and after slathering him in Desitin (much
to the delight of the vets - not), I finally figured out my problem
was not the girth so much as where the buckle came (the clue
came when I saw that the whole buckle area that I thought was
"up high" was also covered in Desitin after the 75 he finished
ouchily). I thought it was high enough not to cause a problem,
but I was wrong.

I ended up with a Wintec neoprene girth - waffly type of *tubular*
design (rather than the "chafeless" shaped one that has trim).
The fact that it's tubular means the edge is rounded with no trim
to rub.

Most importantly, I bought the girth two inches longer than we
were using so the buckle came as high up his sides as I could
manage (I had to punch some more holes in the billets):

http://www.horse.com/products/sku-EGM11__id-30__scode-hfroogle.html

hths

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA