RE: [RC] Just out of Curiousity (was: Race, etc.) - heidi

k s swigart wrote:
How many people would stop attending endurance rides if the race aspect
were no longer recognized?

kat
Orange County, Calif.

Me, for one.  I do not race when I am bringing along a new horse, until
the horse has the foundation to race safely -- which takes several
years.  But even then I am building up to the time when he can race.

I appreciate the fact that there are more people in our sport who do not
race, than who do.  And I'm happy about that.  One of the strengths of
our sport is its diversity, the "big tent."  And when I tell someone who
is not familiar with endurance about Kahlil, the first thing I mention
is his 11,525 miles completed, before mentioning his racing wins.

I'm with Joe in this, although my own racing days may well be behind me.  But
it is essential to what makes the sport what it is, and if *I* ever have the
time and capability of getting fit again (it is more me than the horses at this
point) I will be somewhat competitive again.  (For me, it is more apt to be
"racing" for the Top Ten than for the win--but it is still a desire to be
competitive with regard to speed.)

That said, the "racing" aspect of the sport is far distant from the sort of
"racing" that most folks perceive, since there are strings attached, so to
speak.  When horse people ask me about the racing aspect of the sport, I
compare it to jump-offs, where time is an element, but in order for it to
count, you have to jump "clean" (or match the "clean-ness" of the next fastest
competitor).  You can't just tear around the course knocking all the fences
down.  Likewise, in endurance, we have to "ride clean" or we don't complete--it
is NOT the same thing as the sort of "racing" where one can cross the finish
line and drop dead, and still have "won the race."  And to answer Connie's
comment about racing and LD rides--there are even more "strings attached" in
LDs, including eliminating the sprint-across-the-line aspect with the
pulse-down before the clock stops.

Our "races" are no more flat-out "races" than are timed jump-offs--in both
cases one must take particular care to ride "clean."

Heidi