Re: [RC] Ride vs Race - Diane Trefethen

First, I agree completely with Angie's point. Competition DOES improve us... and everything else too. Where competing goes awry is when beating the other guy overshadows the importance of winning. It's not *winning*, a personal achievement, that leads to anger and fights. You see this syndrome all the time when friends get together to watch a sports game. As long as everyone roots for his/her team, things are fine. But watch out when one guy has too much to drink and starts slamming the opposite team and its supporters.

The word "race" has acquired negative connotations that have nothing to do with the act of racing. Perhaps by the simple expedient of replacing that particular word with one that carries less baggage, we can focus our discussions on the merits of the act instead of the angst of the possible, negative consequences of that act. "Competition"? "Run"?

I think it is important to remember that lots of people come to Endurance because of the objectivity. They are turned off by the show ring where judges decide who wins and who loses, sometimes ("often", as some folks believe) for reasons other than the quality of a horse or its performance... reasons like being married to the trainer or a good friend of the owner or giving a "superb" horse the "benefit of the doubt" when it's having a bad hair day. They like participating in a competition that doesn't rely on someone else's idea of what is best. Best is simple. First Place goes to the horse that crosses the finish line first.

Therefore, I find it ironic - there's that word again, John :) - that AERC is trying to distance itself from the *concept* of racing. Longevity and lifetime mileage are worthy goals but both can easily be achieved in other organizations where absolute placing is not the criterion for an award. The only thing left once we set aside mileage and years is BC and/or other subjective "Horse Excellence" awards. And what's BC? It is NOT an award to the horse that finishes in the best shape. It is not even an award to the Top Ten horse who finishes the ride in the best condition. It is an award to the Top Ten horse who, IN THE OPINION OF THE VETS (often just one vet), is in the best condition. That's "judging".

I think that if any faction in AERC succeeds in eliminating "racing" from our "rides", they will also succeed in the dismantling of the organization.