Re: [RC] nutrition q about pregnant mares - Sisu West Ranch

We feed our pregnant mares the same as the other horses.  Lots of MT grass, and in the winter lots of MT grass hay.  Less than a quart of soaked beet pulp (two quarts of pellets, divided among 8 horses), with a cup of half corn half oats per day.  These concentrates are basically fed to get them and their guts used to beet pulp and as a vehicle to get them to eat their Se/ vit E, which is the only supplement they get.  (We wouldn't even feed this if the Bitterroot were not almost completely a Se free zone.)

This year's mare and foal are fine, and the mare is a smidge fat for my taste.

I really do think that American horses are very over fed both calories and supplements.

By the way the usual disclaimers apply: Your experience may vary.  Closed pasture. Don't try this at home.  Seek professional advice, that is from a vet like Susan G, not wandering horse breeders.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640