Re: RE: [RC] AERC] - Sisu West Ranch

Jim:
"...AND we need to SEVERLY sanction riders who abuse their horse....."

This is a statement that few will argue with.  It is right up there with statements like:
We need to punish wife beaters severely.
We need to put child molesters behind bars for the rest of their lives.
etc.

The real problem is not the desire to punish evil doers, it is developing a system that:
1. Identifies those who do commit the act.  If simply having an undesired outcome (like horse severely colicing at a ride) is enough evidence, many excellent caring riders (myself included) would have been severely sanctioned and thus left the sport.
2. Provides due process so those identified can have the rights that all residents of the USA are guaranteed.  This can be complicated.  The American system wants to be extremely sure that the innocent do not suffer. I would hope that you do not think that publicly sanctioning a number of members who did not abuse their horses is OK if it allows the sanctioning of one who did abuse a horse.
3. Make sure that the behavior that is punished is really abuse.  I believe that an objective measurement of speed, time between rides, experience of rider or age of equine that will separate the abusers from the non-abusers does not exist.  If you know of such measurements please let us know.

By the way, may I suggest you talk to your attorney before again posting Marine vulgarisms.  Some might interpret such words as a threat.  Threats can cause all sorts of legal difficulties.  Trust me, I know from sad experience.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875