[RC] Abuse - Bruce Weary

Jim-- You're assuming that people who ride hard don't know what can
happen to their horses. And exactly how do you define abuse? If you rode
your best horse, as he stands right now, to a 10 hour finish in a 100
mile ride, that might be abuse, for him. If John Crandall does it, it's
a championship effort from a fully prepared horse. Same speed, two
different situations, and all sorts of shades of grey in between. Where
you and I fundamentally seem to disagree is in the definition of abuse.
It sounds like you have seen some people in the SE ride their horses
harder than you think they should. Maybe they look like shit after the
ride. I don't like it either, but there is no rule against that PER SE.
If they survive the ride, and the horse doesn't die, I have no death
report to make available to you. Are you suggesting that we have "speed
police" that determine how fast each horse should be allowed to be
ridden? Or just make full judgments on the post ride appearance of the
horse, or what? What exactly, and please be precise, allowing for all
sorts of permutations, would your standards be that determine a case of
abuse, and what punishments do you suggest? If you can truly lay out a
defensible plan that our constituents can't shoot holes in, I will be
happy to post it to RC and the Forum for further discussion. Heck, I'll
even present it to the Board for discussion. I am, after all, your
representative.
  I really think this is the crux of the issue. Taking the position
that not enough people care enough about their horses is insulting to
98% of the members. Try a different tack to get people to notice what it
is you are trying to say.   Respectfully,   Bruce