[RC] old horses and weighing decisions - Alice Yovich

We have a 30 year pony. Well, the vet says he’s “around” 30 b/c his teeth are falling out in the back. But he’s happy and sound. Packs around kids gently, flies down the trail or around barrels. Occasionally, I “think” I see a little hock problem, but it’s so inconsistent I never know if I imagined it or not.  His weight is good, attitude good…I figure when he quits being happy then it will be time, but until then ‘no way” He can go for miles and miles.

His heart rate comes down great, but he still breathes a little fast.  I have wondered how closely the rate of breath is monitored in endurance versus CTR.  My daughter would like to get him out and try a LD with him, but yet, she doesn’t want to cause him harm or get pulled.  He gets ridden almost every day by students and she gets him out for longer rides at least 1 time per week. Even though she has a horse to ride, she keeps coming back to her Joe Bear.

Alice Yovich, MT-BC, LMT

NATRC Region 4, Texas

http://www.alicestrailridethroughlife.blogspot.com/