Re: [RC] [RC] [Endurance Riding: News] UAE the team to beat - Maryanne Gabbani

I agree with you and Diane about the notice of the horses. Definitely, without any doubt, horses for most riders in the Arab world (and sadly I have to include Egypt there) are warm-blooded assets rather than beings that cooperate in a venture with the rider. But then consider the type of rides that they have...what sensible horse could really get into those anyway? No scenery at all, no water except in buckets and no grass. Jeez, honestly.

Now if you want to have some really good coverage of the endurance in the US just get the son of the CEO of the Washington Post or the offspring of the President of the US to start riding. That's the best analogy to the coverage in the Gulf press. Not only are they heavily sponsored by the ruling families, they are also heavily censored by the ruling families. Likewise, most of the press in the Middle East is heavily influenced by extremely expensive advertising by Emirates Air and other Dubai-based economic heavy-hitters so that they are more than happy to follow suit.

As for the importance of the Gulf press, I think that the analogy to the Idaho press is much more appropriate, though on a good day they might make the San Francisco Chronicle or the LA Times...but only on a good day and a rare one at that. Washington Post, Globe and Mail, New York Times?  A totally different league.

Maryanne
resident ME cynic