[RC] European Championship - calm - Steph Teeter

Everybody seems calm, ready for the ride. The vetting in was quiet and orderly, wonderful grassy lawn for trotting, plenty of room for moving horses and riders around. So far it seems to be very well organized. The organizers have 'that look' in their eye, still busy in the office to get final entries out, last minute secretarial stuff, a bit of scurrying around, but there also seems to be good energy - and a little relief - all the prep has come together, time to get the show on the road.

Lots of familiar faces here - vets, officials, riders, grooms - somebody from almost every continent, either to work or 'to spectate'. It almost has the feel of a WEC, with so many 'foreign' riders, besides the European team competitors. Middle East has riders from Qatar, Bahrain, UAE , Saudi Arabian - and the USA. We're missing Oceana and South America riders - but they're here as press and spectators, A very festive feeling.

Tomorrow's forecast is a little cooler - high predicted of 82 (28C) - partly cloudy. Today feels very hot, hopefully tomorrow will have a little breeze also. Merri and I had lunch with a few Italians (Vincenzo) and Heather and Jeremy Reynolds - they're ready, horse looks great, everybody travelled well, rested and healthy. Jan Worthington was beaming - she and her big bay looked great - she said "I think this is my 130th 100 mile ride.. hard to keep count, but something like that". I'm pretty sure she and Steve Rojek are highest 100 mile mileage riders that we have. Pretty amazing.

There's a press conference soon, then afterwards we're going to take the little rental Fiat out to check the course, see the crew points - try to get oriented and identify some good photo points for tomorrow.

and then back in time to get a little sleep I hope! A few hours last night, and a few hours on the flight over - starting to feel a little rummy...

later-

Steph