[RC] Owyhee Canyonlands Update - Steph Teeter

Dark storm clouds are on the horizon, maybe rain tonight?? Something to settle this dust!

Owyhee Canyonlands 2007:

Printable (fax or mail) ride entries are available on the website. $10 discount for pre-registration by Sep 20. (full refund for cancellations).

I'll post udpates to the website: http://www.endurance.net/oreana/ owyheecanyonlands/

Here's the status for trails over the 5 days:

Day 1 - we'll do the regular Castle Creek 50 - up Browns Creek canyon, along the ridge above Castle Creek, drop down into Castle Creek Canyon and in to Collette's TX Ranch for a vetcheck - Back home through the badlands and pick up the trail back to camp. Trails should be in good shape. There's the awful nasty 3 miles of rocky section climbing out of Browns Creek - but the rest of the ride is pretty decent footing, occasional rocky sections on the jeep road above Castle Creek Canyon.

Day 2 - we will do the Petroglyphs - but it will be simpler. We'll leave base camp and head directly to Sierra del Rio Ranch for a hold. Ride up the old Oregon Trail, drop down into the Snake River Canyon (the well graded road) and ride along the river for 6 miles - at the petroglyphs and old Weiss homestead we'll turn around and head back on the same river trail (no rocky climb up out of the canyon). Back to Sierra del Rio for another hold and then home. You'll get 12 miles along the river this way, and it should be much more pleasant. Plus we can put out an extra water point between Sierra del Rio and the river canyon. Good footing most of the ride, but it is a long one (60 miles).

Day 3 - this will be the Sinker Canyon ride - a 30 mile loop from base through the canyon with an out vetcheck. The 50's will have another 20 mile loop out of camp. Really rocky (river rock) through the canyon, but awesome cliffs and really beautiful riding. Walk and enjoy. It's not too bad on the trails and jeep roads. But this is by far the rockiest day of the week.

Day 4 - will be the Wildhorse Butte trail - same as in the past - across the highway above Sinker Canyon, down to Ryepatch for a hold, over to the badlands, up the deep wash, around the river, vetcheck at Ryepatch Rd, and back to camp. Good footing. Fairly easy ride.

Day 5 - will be all loops out of camp. I might be able to take you down into Hart Creek canyon (trail from years ago) - but in any case we'll have nice trails for the last day. Pretty good footing all day, maybe a few rocky stretches, but not too bad.

We'll also have a Trail Ride on Saturday - 10am start, $20 includes dinner Saturday night.

We won't be doing the Costume Contest this year - altho you're welcome to come and ride incognito :)

Vets are Michael Peterson from Canada, and Olin and Karen Balch from Idaho.

Dinners by Blue Canoe Catering - plus they'll be set up to sell breakfast and lunch during the week for those who want.

We have showers and REAL TOILETS! (3 of them - with wooden doors and wood panelling - first class :)

Lots of straw for dust control, hoses to water your camp spot, good grass and alfalfa hay for purchase (let us know in advance), and corrals for rent.

PLUS - we have some riders with over 1000 miles on Owyhee trails - we'll have special awards for these folks - let us know if you're a contender!

And of course the Tough Sucker and Not Quite As Tough Sucker awards. (mile after mile of dust, snakes, lizards, rocks, bandits ... are you tough?)

see you in a few weeks!

Steph & John