[RC] crupper/saddle going forward - Nancy

Dear Marlene,

I think you have explained why Lyric has such saddle issues when she does her cross training (western events-gymkhana, team penning).  Lyric is fine at rides as she mostly trots and canters. ( In fact she has a huge trot – and can out trot my almost 16 hand mare any day of the week.)  But when she does gymkhana and team penning she has fits if the saddle is not perfect.

We are in the middle of another great saddle search and tried a Circle Y reining saddle recently.  It had the bumps on both sides were it hits the shoulders.  We did not even put the cinch on it as we knew Lyric would go nutty with the saddle and pain it would cause.

Several years ago we had purchased a crupper for Lyric and started training in it for distance.  We went to a gymkhana and just left the crupper on and tried a run in it.  Oh my, oh my, a rodeo was witnessed by all.  Lyric came flying down to the first pole and started bucking and bucking- 15 times.  Dani was not unseated and determined to stay on.  The show photographer caught it and I have an 8 X10 of Lyric with her back feet well above Dani’s head.  Dani has the most determined look on her face, a classic shot.  They got a standing ovation when it was all over.  And they were fine once the offending crupper was removed.

All of this leads me to ask – what western barrel saddles are extra wide and short, without the shoulder bumps?  Oh and I have a Bob Marshall barrel saddle for sale as well as an SR Enduro that Lyric has out grown.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Hot, hot, hot Elfin Forest, CA