From: Amber Roberts <Amber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 9:30:13 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Horse with attitude...Emergency Dismount

I used to use the one-rein stop, too, until I read a training article by Curt Pate describing the Cavalry stop.  Wow, what a difference.  I trained my horse on the ground and then from the saddle.  All my boarders have now adopted this method, too.  When wanting to stop, remain in the normal riding position, horse straight, rider straight, and simply lift up on one rein.  Don't always use the same rein.  The horse will either slow or stop, depending on the amount of upwards pressure on that one rein.  With practice, it takes very little upwards movement.  No chance of a horse losing its balance as is possible with the one-rein stop.

Amber

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.