Re: [RC] horse/Dog Slaughter - Mary Ann Spencer

I won't eat any of my pets either but other cultures do.  Some people are even upset about some plant eating.  Extremes aren't necessicarily good.  India has starving people and sacred cows wandering all over the place.  Whenever a community has had extra commodity that someone else wants and they don't use or need, then they trade or buy.  The Germans developed and huge meat rabbit and sent a small group to N Korea to have them breed them.  Within a few months the rabbits were gone.  What do you propose we do with excess rabbits, cats, dogs horses that other countries consider a delicacy??  U personally don't need to contribute.  But that is no reason others cant.  Humane would be needed.  But there are Animal Rights groups who think capturing and riding horses as inhumane.  So much is in the eye of the beholder.  Raccoon skins are not longer worth $50..... and there are 2 of them that raid my place regularly.  Not  sure where the coyotes went as I have not heard them lately but somewhere out there is a big cat with 3.5 inch paw print.  It has been taking my chickens.

Perhaps instead of being totally against eating other animals, humane slaughter is best.  Ever see how shot up the deer can be if they are killed with the first shot.  This subject could go on and on.  We are not going to stop the horse meat market.  BUT you can not contribute to it.   But it does give a usuablitily for horses who are not  suitable for riding or breeding stock.  We are not going to change the 'business' end of the horse market.  Let's face it, many endurance horses have been those not good enough for 'the show ring'.  The price of horse goes hand in hand with the price per pound.  IMHO

Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:17 PM
Subject: [RC] horse/Dog Slaughter

By the way I am not a Vegan not even a vegetarian. I don't ride for pleasure the cows or chickens that I eat. I just find it distasteful to eat my pets. I also don't like human meat but there are countries where human consumption occurs (New Guinea comes to mind). Should we be in the business of satisfying their needs. If other cultures find this acceptable, let them grown their own, whatever it is.

Richard Sacks