Re: [RC] Bitless Bridles - Barbara McCrary

I'm a huge believer in using what makes the horse happy, as well as controllable.  One of ours has been in a sidepull (after starting him in a snaffle as soon as I bought him...he hated it) for 15 years, in and out of competition.  One is in a short shanked $16 hackamore bit (he's a happy camper with that) and another likes his Myler short-shanked, high port curb bit (after discovering he, too, hated a snaffle.)  Find what your horse works well in and is happy with and stick with it.  Don't buy tons of bits...try borrowing different ones from friends.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: sherman
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:16 PM
Subject: [RC] Bitless Bridles

No experience with a bitless bridle, but I have a horse that prefers a rope halter to a bit so that?s the way we ride, even at the start of 50s and even Tevis (although that wasn?t planned, but I?d lost the bit during weigh-in). He?s very controllable and happy that way (and therefore I?m happy). My other two go well without a bit thanks to the little S hackamore. It just depends on what the horse and you are comfortable with. Make sure the horse likes it before just accepting that that?s what he?s always been ridden with though. When we got Storm he was in a kimberwicke, had been for at least 4 years, and he hated it.

Kathy

Hi guys, I am looking at a horse next week and he has only ever been ridden in a Bitless Bridle. I have no experience with these and was just wondering how they work. Does anybody ride in them? What do any of you who have experiences with them feel about them? Thank you!

Jessica