[RC] Parelli competitions - manners competitions for young horses at shows? - Sharon Hahn

Hey Angie, I've never seen one of these Parelli competitions (although it sounds a lot like the performance classes at the llama shows I attend),  but I think it would be fabulous if there were "ground manners" classes for young horses.  Instead of showing them at halter and in the 2-year old snaffle bit class, let's have classes where they are judged on loading into a trailer, standing tied, having their feet handled, etc.  There's lots of stuff to teach a horse that's too young to be ridden that will make them better horses when they are ridden, but too many people think the thing to do is ignore them until they are 2-1/2, then complain when they won't load in the trailer or stand still to be groomed or shod.  I think this would be a fun class to watch at the county fair, too!  Every 4-H show should have one.

they did not RIDE their horses that they had
owned a YEAR!. Even though their hores were trained to ride...they
were trudging through a year of ground work first!!!
Needless to say, our minds were "boggled."
The funny thing is, they now have COMPETITIONS for people just like that.
Honestly, the Parelli groundwork has helped me a lot, and I like the
dvd/book walk you through approach...but when I went to a clinic I
actually predicted that soon this would be like an agility glass for
horses that don't get ridden. Then I went to another demonstration with
"HIMSELF"  there and low and behold, they had a competition with the
owners taking thier horses though a course trying to beat the clock.  I
guess this could fill a void and be a performance event that the people
who are into halter horses can enjoy. :-)

Angie

--
We've Got Your Name at Mail.com