Re: [RC] Parelli Carrot Stick Causes Tendonitis? - Diane Trefethen

Someone told me that the carrot sticks use the same core as golf clubs. Well, a golf club is too heavy to be swung at waist level with one hand--for a woman, at least.
Almost all the women I know that ride can do this....golf clubs are not that heavy...lol

The statement, "a golf club is too heavy to be swung at waist level with one hand--for a woman, at least", wasn't referring to the brute strength needed to wield a golf club in that fashion. The problem isn't lack of strength; it is that the tendons do not attach the muscles to our bones in a way that is conducive to being able to repeatedly swing a golf club at waist level. Consider the tennis racket, a relatively lightweight item, and the fact that about 1/3 of tennis players suffer from "tennis elbow".

Another example. There are Carpenter Bees at my house. These bugs are big and tough. If you hit them with a fly swatter, they barely notice. So, I have a 2 ft long, 1 inch plastic tube which I use like a bat to hit the flies in mid-air. Carpenter Bees are so tough that even a direct hit will only stun them and then only if I hit them VERY hard. So each swing has to be like I was going for a home run. This "bat" weighs about 6 oz. After 20 or so swings, my hand and forearm begin to hurt. If I don't quit, my arm will hurt like the deuce the next day.

So it's not about pure strength but rather how our arms are constructed that dictates if and how much we'll suffer from repeating a specific movement.