Re: [RC] Parelli Carrot Stick Causes Tendonitis?/use of MSM - Laney Humphrey

Check the AERC list of banned substances to see if MSM is on it. I think it is which only means you can't give it before a ride. I use it myself and think it's great. Never given it to my horse though. Knock on wood, he's never seemed to need it.
laney

sherman wrote:
Having suffered for a long painful year of tendonitis, I’d say it’s more likely that the use of the carrot stick was “the straw that broke the camels back” and not necessarily from overuse of the carrot stick. I suffered for quite a while from tendonitis, from throwing flakes of hay over the fence into the feeders. It was only about 6 flakes a day, didn’t seem like much to me, but it was too much for my tendons.

My year of pain from the tendonitis ended within 2 or 3 weeks of starting MSM supplements, thanks to the advice of Mary Anne. I still cannot carry a flake of hay with my arm, have to put it in a bucket and carry it to wherever it’s needed.

So that takes me to asking another endurance horse related question. Does everyone give their horses MSM? If you do, is it on a regular basis or only before/after long hard rides? I don’t take it regularly anymore, just when I overuse my arms, and then just for a few days providing I can quit doing whatever aggravated the tendons.

Kathy