[RC] Keeping it Fair and Endurance Related - Kathleen

“Why? Because it's no different from our public schools, which refuse to
recognize that individuals learn better in different ways in different
environments. It's impossible to deal with all the variations.”

I have stayed out of this incessant argument about clinicians and the wonders and pitfalls of each of their techniques but enough is enough!

The quote above is absolutely ignorant, unfair and uncalled for in this discussion strand.  There is NO NEED to denigrate an entire profession to make your point.

Not only do public school teachers recognize that individuals learn better in different environments, we spend tremendous amounts of time making sure that our unit plans include multiple intelligences, all learning styles, variable developmental levels, accommodations for special education students and English language learners, not to mention kids from disrupted home situations, migrant students, students with health challenges, students with attendance problems, and on and on and on.

The federal pressure (NCLB) for standardized testing has created difficulties for individualizing the assessment of student progress but teachers continue to work hard to meet each of our student’s individual needs on a daily basis.

None of you are going to change each other’s mind so how about agreeing to disagree and moving onto a more endurance specific topic.

Kathleen Ferguson

National Board Certified Teacher – AYA Biology

Master’s of Education – Measurement and Evaluation

Bachelor of Science

AERC # 717