[RC] RC] Parelli-trained HORSES - Pam Salem

elizabethchase1@xxxxxxxxx wrote:  The most difficult aspect of Parelli study is the mental and emotional fitness, and I'd estimate that about 75% would be more successful with their horse and their human relationships if they recognized their own issues and dealt with them. >>>>>

Omigosh, this is SO true.  At the Level One I went to with Dave Ellis, a couple was there together. The wife had a mare, and the husband had the mare's filly - old enough to ride.  Dave moved them across from eachother instead of side by side. As things progressed, the filly became more manageable, and the mare became worse. The last morning when they were to mount, the husband got on the filly who stood quietly.  The wife, visibly upset, tied the edgy mare to the rail and went high up into the arena stands and would not come down.  Dave never missed a beat, did not let it ruin everyone  else's learning, while still asking her to join them occasionally as if everything was just fine in the arena - which it was.... just not for her. I will never forget it, and it brought home to me how important emotional fitness is to getting anywhere with a horse....and to learning in general.  It is why a no nonsense but compassionate riding instructor can do wonders in the lives of riders of all ages - with or without the seven games.

While I have ridden since I was seven years old and loved it, I have learned just as much on the ground and wandering into my herd feeding them. People want to DO when there is so much to learn if they would just BE with horses, watching them with eachother, watching them react to stimuli, etc.  Pam