[RC] Parelli, etc. - learning from clinicians - Sharon Hahn

I think we can agree that some people like Parelli and others don't.  One thing I like about endurance folks is that in general, they take responsibility for their own horse training and don't just blindly follow others.

When deciding whether to adopt someone else's horse training advice, I think it's most beneficial to look at whether you can understand their theory and why it works.  The best clinicians can give you an "a-ha" moment that will shape all your future horse interactions.  When I was young, I took riding lessons that consisted of a teacher telling me where to put my leg and when to pull on the rein.  I learned how to do the task, but not the theory behind it.  As an adult, I observed lessons that taught more of the theory behind the aids - so I instead of learning when to pull on the rein, I learned how to decide when to pull on the rein - and when to stop pulling.  Learn the latter and you're no longer dependent on your trainer to follow your every move and tell you what to do.  Look for the theory (why it works) and not the technique (what to do) when you go to a clinic.  Learn the theory and you can develop your own techniques.  Fail to learn the theory, and you're probably applying the technique incorrectly.

So if you go to a clinic, and all you learn is "poke the horse in X spot with the $29.95 stick and he will do your bidding forever," you didn't learn much (either because the clinician didn't teach much, or you didn't pay close enough attention, or the clinician and you just weren't on the same wave length, which could explain why your friend went to the same clinic and learned all kinds of stuff.)  It's worth noting that the ability to train horses and the ability to explain what you're doing to other people are two very different skill sets, and the most gifted horse trainer in the world might be miserable at giving clinics.  I once went to a clinic that purported to tell you how to start your horse driving.  The guy drove a young horse around the ring, hitched it to a log, etc.  The horse behaved perfectly and I didn't learn a thing. I wanted to know what I was supposed to do when my horse tried to spin around and look at me, or refused to move, or whatever.  Was the guy a good horse trainer?  Obviously.  A good clinician?  No.

--
We've Got Your Name at Mail.com