[RC] Horse Quencher? - sherman

I don’t know about hyponatremia, and Sonny is already getting the elytes, but he just isn’t a big drinker the night before a ride, not even finishing a 5 gallon bucket and he also doesn’t want his mash the night before or morning of a ride. He drinks well during the ride, and after the ride, and has not had a problem with dehydration, I just thought “maybe” I should do something to encourage more the night before. I also elyte the day & night before, and the morning of a ride.

Kathy

Can horses get hyponatremia???  You know like people get from drinking too much water and then they dilute their blood plasma sodium levels too much and cause all sorts of awful problems?  I'm wondering, that if this was a concern, would it just be better to give more elytes to encourage drinking?  I'm sure that 4 to 6 gallons isn't overly much for a horse, especially if that is the only water that horse is drinking that evening, but just am wondering about where that line is of "too much of a good thing".  I've heard of horses having very loose stools and possible cramping issues from consuming a lot of water when tempted too by other means (such as really sloppy mashes, oat floats, flavored water, etc).  I'd also maybe be concerned about giving my horse that much of a sugar high the night before the ride.  Talk about an exciting mount in the morning!!!  Yee Haw!  =)

Not attempting to knock the poster, it's a great idea.  Just was wondering....

~ Crysta