RE: [RC] [RC] horse slaughter - heidi

Cute, a mile and you have their shoes. Very cute. So, how do we get a humane
slaughter plant planted, pun intended, in each state? Then those that chose
to use their services can and everyone else that doesn't want to, won't. Beccy

The way to do it is to QUIT this nonsense about outlawing slaughter, and to
allow people to build such plants and sell the meat!

Honest to Pete, once a horse is dead, he doesn't CARE if somebody eats him for
dinner.  When I go up on the hill and put a 30-30 bullet through a horse's
brain, the coyotes eat him for dinner.  If people want to eat humanely killed
horses, that isn't a moral or ethical choice--it is simply a cultural choice.
I don't happen to be fond of it--but dead is dead, and it isn't any big deal
one way or the other to the horse!

Cavel used to have a "local" plant in Redmond, Oregon.  You could take your
horse there on a kill day and have him put down within 10 or 15 minutes of your
arrival--if you wanted to, you could stay right there while it was done.  I had
several clients who opted to do this, and I also was on their kill floor
numerous times on behalf of clients to take a quick look at the innards to see
if something we thought might be going on really was.  The whole process was
quick, humane, did not add a bunch of toxic chemicals to our environment, and
did not waste the carcass.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

There ARE fates far worse than death--and sadly, that is now the future for
more and more horses.

Heidi (who isn't particularly enthralled by all the waste and nonsense that
goes into being embalmed and stuck in a coffin, either)

PS:  I wish that every senator and congressman who voted to outlaw slaughter
would personally have to house his or her share of the 90,000 unwanted horses
who (give or take a few) who go to slaughter each year.  That's somewhere
around 300 horses per person.  Maybe we could just pasture 'em all on the lawn
of the Capitol, y'think??