Re: [RC] ethics of slaughter - Truman Prevatt

Diane Trefethen wrote:

Instead of the ineffectual HPA legislation we are now stuck with, if you really want to protect horses instead of just forcing your beliefs and opinions down others throats, why not support a two-pronged attack on this issue which will accomplish what you most desire - an improvement in the quality of death for the horses.
Unfortunately today that seems that forcing ones opinion down others throats is quite common - in just about everything. In reality - there is now a stigma with horse slaughter and states and local governments are taking up the issue, e.g. Illinois.

This is an emotional issue like many issues we face today. Our culture is continually changing. When I grew up one in 4 people had contact with animals such as horses. Today it is like one in 50. The population is getting further and further from the land and we are becoming as a whole much more urbanized. That is just a fact of life. But I also expect to most in this country the horse has a very positive image. The horse and man seem to have always had a unique bond. I suspect that a majority of the people in this just don't find it acceptable to see our horses sent to Europe for a Frenchman to eat - no more than the want to see Rover sent to SE Asia to be eaten. That is what our Government is responding to and responding to the people is how our Government works.

If people feel otherwise they should be contacting their Congressmen/women and Senators - they can do something about it.

Truman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics