Re: [RC] Loose horses/ Parelli - Elizabeth Chase

Kathy and interested folks,

I have it directly from the Parelli's that they do not like the references to
religion, nor do they care for active 'conversions' like the early Christian
missionaries. They'd much rather their students set an example and just quit
preaching. Preaching is only words.

Angie's comment on the horse at liberty: That person showed poor judgment,
period.

Parelli riding: not a chair seat if you do it correctly. Best balance I've ever
had on a horse, and they love love love it. In fact, their backs, strides, and
self-carriage have improved vastly, and my mare had no problems to begin with.

Understanding my horse's psychological profiles and how each of them respond
differently has helped my horsemanship tremendously, and fosters a high level
of trust between us. I have a difficult time observing how some treat their
horses, and how that treatment causes the horse to be more fearful, more
reactive, more dull, less responsive, and sometimes downright aggressive.

I can and do ride my horses bridle-less, but only in appropriate settings. I
don't need to hang onto their mouths or keep tight reins, or balance myself on
them. They are tuned into me, and don't waste energy getting sucked into other
horses' drama or finding/imagining things to spook about.  I love Angie's book,
but I sho' nuff don't want to tell those kind of stories, I'd rather hear other
people's stories, lol...

I'm sad that the 'rabid Parelli-ites' even exist; if they really got the
message, they'd realize that their attitudes are not only unnecessary, but
counter-productive. And, I will be they have more problems with their horses
than they let on. The best Parelli students I've had contact with are totally
humble about it.... you'd only know from watching them with their horse.

Whatever your approach to horsemanship, it's nice to know this list has the
horse's welfare as top priority..

Liz
Minnesota

--- kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

At our BASP playdays, we strongly discourage horses at liberty unless it's
the group consensus to do so.  And there are one or two members that
constantly push that particular envelope and they are the most "rabid" of the
Parelli-ites in the group.

I'm not crazy about the way they teach riding balance.  I always encourage
any Parelli person if they want to do endurance to learn to ride balanced
elsewhere outside of the program.

I guess my Buddhist upbringing has made me pretty tolerant of different
"cults."  There are those died and woolly Parelli-ites who think that you
will absolutely die and go to hxxx if you don't do the seven games before you
mount your horse.  And the certain Centered Riding people I know think that
the Parelli's are the devil too, because they don't wear helmets and ride in
a chair seat.

  Afterall, Jesus probably learned his stuff from some yogi in a
loincloth to begin with anyway.

I was fascinated by their latest "Horsenality" information that is being
published this year.  Linda Parelli had developed a marvelous chart that you
can check boxes with your horses behaviour issues to figure out if your horse
is a left brain introvert or extrovert, or right brain interovert and
extrovert.

And I am doing all this because I have a horse that has some severe
"horsenality" issues that make him not real fun to be with on the trail.  We
have seen a lot of improvement - just because I have been spending more time
with him creating communication, rather than just getting on and riding like
I do with my good old endurance horse.

K.

From: "rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>

No one with any SENSE would allow a loose horse on public trails.
Especially not Parelli. I am trying really hard to not be offended >>>by
the
Parelli slam. It's like knocking my religion,

I have the Parelli tapes, I have used it to help with ground work,
*however* the
local person around here who has probably gone the farthest in the program
is
the only person I have ever witnessed riding with a loose horse behind her
that
she specifically brought with her to condition that way. It was on private
property that was to have an endurance ride, but there were 5 or 6 other
riders
on horses there to ride and help clear trails that day...such fun to have a

horse stop to graze, then gallop past you to rejoin it's buddy. I didn't
ride
with them long.

The number one reason I hesitate to mention that I like to use Parelli
tapes for
training is that people try to turn it *into* a religion. It's a great
guide to
body language, pure & simple.

Angie

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.