[RC] loose horses on trail - mary

I admit that I used to ride with my old injured, passive gelding following behind off lead - but not on public trails when we might come across another person or horse.  I never do the same thing with my mares who are very independent.  My gelding was so herd bound that he never ever left us.  It was fun to have him stop for a minute and then gallop to catch up.  He could follow us with out hurting, but if I rode him for more than a mile or 2 he was gimpy.  This way he was able to get out and about and enjoy life.  We rode on more than a hundred miles of mountain trails and in 3 years, I only saw one person and he was on a bicycle. Never another person on a horse.  In a way it was a little like a mini endurance ride as my mare did not want him to pass her so she kept her speed up when necessary  ;')
- mary