[RC] The PROCESS is wrong - not the legislation - Terry Banister

Thank you, Linda for pointing this out. THESE are the CULLS we are referring to. These are the horses that are part of the market glut that is feeding the mass-slaughter foreign money market. The racing "industry," large show-barn industry and others, combine to produce a market glut.

Donna, the TRANSPORTING of horses to slaughter for the purpose of human food was also supposed to be banned as part of the legislative wording. If this is not being enforced, then the system is not working. That can and should be fixed. It sounds like you are saying we should bow to big (and foreign) business and let them continue their nasty process because the first legislative attempt has not fixed situation, and things have gotten worse before getting better. No, the people who do not want the mass slaughter process to continue are not wrong for wanting this to stop. If the process is still happening in Mexico, it is because someone wants it to - someone is supplying horses to this process. That is what we are fighting. The next step in the process should be a legal solution for local, humane euthanasia that is financially viable to the horse owner. Big equine business should be made to pay the cost of culling, not make money from it. That might put a dent in the glut.

Our endurance horses could and have ended up at an auction and on one of "those" trucks to hell. Most of us individual horse owners don't  want that for our (ex)horses no matter how short the drive is. We want laws to help us. Big equine business wants to keep the process because it works for them. Well, ask Erin Brockovich  to say she was wrong.

Terry
"May the Horse be with you"