Fwd: Re: [RC] " Ethics "of slaughter..etc. - CK

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 8:43:49 -0400
From: CK <kingmonk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Spottedracer@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]  " Ethics "of slaughter..etc.

What is ethical living? Yes, I think morals and values are involved , esp. what
our society and religions believe. Plus, add community and family values. i
also have to live by the ethics of my profession or lose my license. (
Psychology).

Enough of that academic stuff:
Yes, there is an over population of horses.I know slaughter or starvation are
two options for many. When I saw the slaughter house HORSE tape, I wept. It was
horrific.
It is easier to think of the"unwanted equine" going to slaughter. What if it
is YOUR ,young, broke, sound, reg., athletic horse that you can't find some one
to buy it and there is a drought?????? Send him/her to slaughter..Could you do
it?

I don't know about the rest of you.. but, I do patronize  horse sales. There
are all levels of sales, including those that sell top race and show
horses.Some times I sell horses at sales to buyers looking for a horse for
themselves. I don't think I have ever sold to a MEAT buyer. ( I did say think)
I have also bought plenty of  horses at sales. Mostly, they turned out well and
I competed successfully  with some of them. I was also able to place most of
them in good homes when I was ready to sell them. Some were probably going to
slaughter because of some fault/vice that made them unmarketable to the general
public.. Example: barn sour, blind in one eye, head tosser, thin. By the way,
Arabs and Saddlebreds do not bring any $$$ at a sale. Although I know they are
great athletes , they have a bad reputation and buyers avoid them at mixed
breed sales.